How do I notify my landlord of my departure?

At least one month before the desired date, you must send a letter by registered post with acknowledgement of receipt (“lettre recommandée avec accusé de reception”). In this letter, you must state your identity, the address of the accommodation and the dates of your stay. The postmark will serve as the date of notification. Your operator can provide a template.

Do I have to close my bank account?

Yes, it is necessary to close your bank account if you do not plan to return to live in France. You should contact your bank counselor.

Do I have to close my electricity meter?

Depending on the accommodation, you may or may not have to close your electricity meter. Please ask them directly.

Do I have to do anything for the CAF?

Yes, you need to log in to your account and declare a change of situation. You will have to declare your new address, and payments will stop automatically. If it is not done, you may have to pay them back months later.

If I have subscribed to an internet box, what do I do?

You have to return the box and terminate your contract. Depending on the operator, you will have to send it back or return it to the shop. Ask your customer service directly.